Monday, November 15, 2010

Shakespeare's Sonnet

We looked at Shakespeare's Sonnet 145 today in class. Your job tonight is two-fold: You will post a comment in the blog that brings up a point we did not cover today in regards to the sonnet. You will also point out something that one of your classmates mentioned that resonated with you. Some points to cover would be what you got out of the poem, what new understandings were brought to it, what you liked or disliked about it, etc.
Here is the sonnet below for a refresher:

"Those lips that love's own hand did make"


Those lips that love's own hand did make
Breathed forth the sound that said "I hate,"
To me that languished for her sake.
But when she saw my woeful state,
Straight in her heart did mercy come,
Chiding that tongue that ever sweet
Was used in giving gentle doom,
And taught it thus anew to greet.
"I hate" she altered with an end
That followed it as gentle day
Doth follow night, who, like a fiend,
From heaven to hell is flown away.
"I hate" from hate away she threw.
And saved my life, saying "not you."

No comments:

Post a Comment